Sunday, January 15, 2006

You're Black? I Thought You Were...

How many times have I heard the statement that people did not know that I was of African descent? I find it funny, too, that no matter where I go I run in to assumptions on the part of other folks thinking that I am from South America, Spain, Puerto Rico, an Arabic speaking country etc. People approach me speaking their native tongue, and I pause with the non-verbal look of “what?”
My point is you cannot tell a person’s ethnicity by the tone of their skin all the time so don’t assume. Try getting to know the person first or at least remove the prejudicial thinking from your framework of mind. African-American’s come in a wide variety of colors, height, body size, and overall appearance just like every one else.
I am named after my father, Zamounde Sr. I have searched for my name all over the world, and the only resemblance was discovered in the capital city Cameroon, Africa: Yaounde.

2 comments:

Supa said...

Hey Z! Great to see you in the Blogverse. Will add you to my links...

Great topic. Your travels have brought you into contact with many other cultures, and vice versa...I know you're representing! :)

Like Peter Tosh said...as long as you're a black man (woman), you're an African!

Blessings, brohtha

Lorenz-Crunk said...

This is what is so wonderful about our people, we come in so many different shades but in reality we are all still Black. After all we already know it takes less than an 1/8 of a teaspoon full. Right? It always amazes me when people question one's ethnicity.