Monday, January 16, 2006

Is the Dream Dead?

The following is an unedited thought:
I stand here on this day in remembrance of a man who stood not alone, but with many people like my mother, father, grandmother, and grandfather to say no more to Jim Crow racial restrictions. I wonder, too, is the dream alive or dead in the masses of millions who benefited from the change today. I know I have lost a little of the dream in me to rise above where I stand and soar to new heights of possibility. I cannot muster the strength inside to run the path set before me. Am I alone? I don't think so not at all for many have no fight to take up arms for anymore like we use to in the past. What? I mean the torch has been passed since the 1960's, and what have we accomplished in the cities? Many of the problems that existed then exist today; I know most would argue that it is not so, but this is my opinion. Look at the cities where African-Americans live in large numbers and ask yourself where is the Timbuktu's. I hear the hip-hop world claiming Atlanta as the Mecca of the south. My point is with so many cities hosting masses of African-Americans we should have a great trade route established from coast to coast where wealth is distributed among all the cities. Where is the dream when the only thing we can claim success in is the music industry? The schools were desegregated in the 1970's, but the money was not fairly redistributed; how could it when most African-Americans do not own the homes that they reside in and have little or no effect on the tax base of the county, city, or state. A large number of minorities have managed to rise above the poverty level by joining the military, trade schools, or working in the factories. A small number have manage to take advantage of their parents rise out of poverty by successfully completing college, entering into public office, taking over businesses etc. However, until the masses as a whole rise above the line the dream is dead--not alive. We stand here alone it seems; no more do the fathers, mothers, grandfathers, and grandmothers say keep the dream alive. We have to keep the dream alive! Not a Black or White one, but a dream that is all inclusive. A dream that poor people would not be judged by their speech against rich people who have been taught to deny their "unacceptable tendencies". A dream that money flows from downtown to the inner plantations like a mirror. A dream that reconstruction occurs for real, and not simply stated on the floors of Congress. A dream that a child spending so many years in public schools would learn something useful and obtainable besides hearing "no child left behind" while cold air whips through the rooms in the winter, or have to catch up with the priveleged few who gets it. I'm blabbing...stop the disease that kills the dream. I need to go running...

No comments: