Saturday, January 14, 2006

Why Obtain a Degree




The number one question that plagued me for years was the question of a college degree. I fought against it for years. I think it had something to do with my childhood (sounds like something you hear in pyschology class); however, it was a prevailing attitude that prevented me from taking a step in the collegiate direction for years. I found many other excuses like writing books, co-hosting a radio show, and touring the spoken word scene. After all my excuses I finally reached a conclusion: a hard working smart person can overcome great odds, and with a good track record the opportunities are vastless.

* A degree adds to your value when competing for jobs. For example if you have bachelor's degree you break even on the salary worksheet, but if you don't have one it takes $4,706 dollars off of your value. A master's degree gives you the right to add $1,975 to your asking salary. Last year when I completed a salary value worksheet I was worth $70,000 a year with bonuses, but due to my new job I moved up to $72,014.

* You meet a lot of interesting people, and increase your network capabilities while completing a degree.

* You don't need a degree more than you need knowledge, timing, and knowing the right people.

* You don't need a degree to obtain the skills, knowledge, and abilities (SKA's) to make money.

* A degree is a stepping stone established by society to enhance its citizens, and increases its potential for the future.

Why obtain a degree? Do it for you, and your family's well being. Despite all of the reasons not to get one that many including myself used for years--it is worth it in the long run.

P.S. I heard it even helps when buying a house or other major purchases. What do you think?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Zamounde,

You're off to a great start with your page. As always, you offer a lot of food for thought. I look forward to visiting your blog again.

Memphis

Anonymous said...

Hi,

This is my first time on your page, but I am proud of you (even though I don't know you) of your achievements. I was searching the internet on East St. Louis and came across your blog b/c of your letter to Obama.

I just want to say that I have felt the same way you have about a degree and the funny thing is that I have already received my bachelor's at a good school, but have been unable to appreciate it until recently.

I did not take advantage of it the way I could have but that was due to many of my own personal struggles and issues at the time.

Now I'm considering going back to school and honestly before I think I had the same attitude toward education, that it was kind of just a "thing" to do for some people and really just something that society stamps a big stamp of approval on and I just wanted to avoid that.

I see people who think because they have a degree that means they are better than others or smarter. And then I see people who have never been to college struggle w/ their self-worth b/c of it. And of course both are wrong. A degree doesn't make you smarter and not having a degree doesn't mean you are not smart. And because of this viewpoint I had I've been resisiting the Graduate school route.

However now 6 years out of college, I am having a rebirth where I feel this thirst to learn things and to grow and achieve something and I see how getting a Master's would do that for me.

I think there are people who use school for the wrong reasons, to enhance their "image" or to get approval from society, however I see now for myself that it is valuable.

And to add another reason to your list.

A chance to almost be a child again and start from the beginning and be in a supportive environment that is totally geared toward your personal growth and achievement.

What could be better than that really?

Thank You for your blog and THANK YOU for being a strong black man who wants to give back to your community.

Jackie